Monday 2 September 2013

All That Glitters Is Not Gold...Oh Wait A Minute - It Is!

Ok so it might not be real gold but it sure does sparkle and glitter like gold and make your projects look just that bit richer. What am I going on about? Well, it is an old favourite that has been kind of getting a bit of a reboot over the last couple of years or so - Gilding flakes.


I've been playing with the Cosmic Shimmer Gilding Flakes

I wasn't really a Gilding Flakes person, to be honest so I thought, I would give them a little run for their money and see if I could change my mind about them. I have always loved the look of a touch of Gilding Flakes used sparingly on a mixed media piece but could not be persuaded on some of the full-on use of Gilding Flakes in old school cardmaking. 

But, as I've said they have had a little bit of a reboot and you can find some gorgeous makes using Gilding Flakes. So I think I've changed my mind about them. What I would say though is they are a little messy to use as they fly everywhere even in a big box, but then the results are so shiny so it is worth a play!

If you check out the current issue of Papercraft Essentials, Issue 98, you will find a whole masterclass from me on both Gilding Flakes and Gilding Wax and I've tried to give them a bit of a more contemporary spin.


I used the Cosmic Shimmer Gilding Flakes and Creative Expressions Gilding waxes and you will find lots of colours in both ranges now. I used the Umount Floral Silhouette A5 Stamp Plate for my makes and another thing I found really useful for use with the flakes is the Cosmic Shimmer Flake and Glitter glue.  

You can spot an extra make from me over at the Papercraft Magazine's new website.


So shiny! Oh if only I did have a pot of gold, *sigh*!

I would love to hear about your experiences with Gilding Flakes, do you like to use them in your projects? What do you use them for?

Catch you later.
Kim

PS. this issue of Papercraft Essentials has all the details for entry into the Papercrafter of the Year competition - if you are at all interested in entering, (and I encourage everyone to enter!) go hunt it out now and start cracking!

1 comment:

  1. I've no idea how you use these flakes but like you I love the look of projects that feature them. I must look out for that magazine as it is not one I've bought before.

    Thanks Kim :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog, I really appreciate every single one!

If you have any questions please email them to me kim(dot)dellow(at)gmail(dot)com or make sure you have the 'non-reply' turned off so that I can email you via your comment. Thanks!

Kimxx