Friday 17 June 2011

Gingersnap Creations Tutorial - Colouring Vellum

You guys all know that I'm a bit of a 'fingers in different styles pie' sort of person and like everything from fluffy and cute to industrial grunge and this week the makes have been more on the cute card side. So to shake it up a bit I've got my second tutorial for Gingersnap Creations today. Those of you who follow the Gingersnap Creations blog will have seen this on Sunday 12th June

Ok so you know that this month on Gingersnap Creations is all about using packaging in your art right? Well I've kinda cheated a bit for this tutorial. This one is making packaging rather than made from packaging!


What You Will Need: 
Stamps - Paperartsy Hot Picks 01; Paperartsy Clock Plate 5; Creative expressions Vintage Flight
Colouring - Alcohol inks (Terracota; Butterscotch)
Inks - Archival Coffee; Archival Jet Black
Papers - Vellum (or tracing paper)
Tools - Blending tool; felt for blending; Envelope template; Ruler; Craft knife; Heat tool; Scoring tools
Other - Vellum glue tape; Alcohol Inks Blending Solution


Make An Envelope Template
My envelope is a very simple design and I made the template from an A4 piece of paper to make an 18 cm by 13.2 cm (7 1/8 inch by 5 3/16 inch) envelope when folded. 


Make the Vellum Envelope
I used my scoring tool and craft knife to make the envelope from the vellum and stuck the side flaps down with the vellum glue tape.


Colour Vellum
To change the colour of the vellum I used the blending tool and alcohol inks.

For this techniques I added two or three drops of the alcohol ink to the felt on the blending tool then added one drop of the blending solution and then using circular motions worked from the outside inwards.

I started with the lightest colour, the Butterscotch, to colour the whole envelope then added a bit of the darker Terracota colour to the edges and corners.

Then when you have the colour the way you want it try adding a bit of texture by adding drops of the blending solution to the blending tool, without colour, and 'stipple' the blending tool onto the envelope, i.e. dab it onto the envelope and lift directly up without moving it sideways. You can see the effect in the close-up photograph at the bottom of this post.


Get Stamping
I used the Coffee Archival ink with the PaperArtsy C5 and HPXT01 stamps as my background stamping then stamped the sentiment and airplane from the Creative Expressions Vintage Aviation kit with Jet Black Archival ink.

To stamp on vellum  just remember to try not to wobble or slide the stamp when it is on the vellum and I also use a bit of careful heat from the heat tool to help dry off the ink after each stamping.



I just love the effect of the alcohol inks on the vellum almost like the glassine papers that are very popular at the moment don't you think? 

Have fun with this one and as always I would love to see what you do with it so drop by and give me a shout if you use it.

Kimx

Pin It

8 comments:

  1. I definitely want to have a go at this Kim, the effects are stunning. Thanx for the tut.
    Have a good weekend.
    luv and hugs {brenda} xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just come back to say I love your bag and tag on Gingersnap but can't see it here.
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh wow this is fabulous, and thanks for the tutorial!!! Hugs juls

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is stunning, i have alcohol inks and vellum gathering dust, but your project is going to get me using them!
    Paula x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so beautiful Kim; what an amazing idea. You've created something sensational. Can't wait to give this a try out.
    Sharon xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow so beautiful
    hugs Pia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog, I really appreciate every single one!

If you have any questions please email them to me kim(dot)dellow(at)gmail(dot)com or make sure you have the 'non-reply' turned off so that I can email you via your comment. Thanks!

Kimxx