Friday 15 August 2008

Flowers for a RAK

Here is a RAK card I made recently. It uses some flowers I made from paper inspired from nature itself.



Walking to work one day I found a petal shape on a flower that I just knew I had to copy. I sketched it then made a template flower which I've now been using in lots of different ways. I've been asked how I did it so here is a step by step, hope it is clear :)

So first using my template I cut the shapes from my chosen papers which in this case are from the All Star set from Kaboodle Doodle.









I then cut a small slit between the petals to separate then a little.











For these flowers I distressed the edges using a felt block (a bit of felt attached to wood with velcro) with small circular motions around the edges on a craft mat. The edges pick up the ink nicely. You can also ink the edges directly or drawn on them - anything really.




To shape the petals I use a thin embossing tool, but a thin knitting needle or a cocktail stick works as well.

I start by bending the centre of the petal downwards over the embossing tool.




Next there is an upward bend on either side of the centre line of the petal.








Then a downward bend on both edges of the petal











I also curl the tips downwards and if you want even more dimension you can use the ball to a larger embossing tool to dent the centre.







For the centre of these flowers I used a flower punch, curling the tips of these flowers downwards, and a brad. But there are all sorts of things you can do - use a sentiment, a decorated brad, gems, buttons - it is endless :)






The finished flower :)








Hope that helps :)


Materials:

Stamp - Elzybells Art Stamps
Papers - All Stars Kaboodle Doodle
Inks - VersaFine Black; VersaColor Pink
Equipment - Embossing tools; small flower punch, felt block; craft mat
Other - Letraset Promarkers; Fine black marker pen; white cardstock

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful card Kim, its so pretty and I love your flowers the tutorial is brilliant TFS :) Donna x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful card and I love the flowers. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow very beautiful card and your flowers are wonderful, great tutorial, thanks for sharing :)
    *Brocéliane*

    ReplyDelete
  4. The card is fab hun!
    I make my own flowers too, asi dont have any punches etc
    I will try this soon! Will get back to you whenever I make one using your technique.
    Thanks for the mini tut.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog, I really appreciate every single one!

If you have any questions please email them to me kim(dot)dellow(at)gmail(dot)com or make sure you have the 'non-reply' turned off so that I can email you via your comment. Thanks!

Kimxx