Tuesday 14 April 2015

Say It In Fabric New Baby Card

Every now and then I love to breakout my sewing machine and get all stitchery. So when I was asked to make a new baby card I decided that it would be fun to do a little faux free-motion machine embroidery.

Faux Free-motion machine embroidery card

I do love drawing with a sewing machine, it is such a gorgeous technique. With real free-motion machine embroidery you go off-road so to speak. You either don't use a foot at all on your sewing machine - watch your fingers! - or you get one of those 'jumping' feet (that's what I call them!), you know the quilting or darning ones that lift off with each stitch so that you can move the fabric freely.

What I call faux free-motion machine embroidery is where you draw with your sewing machine but you use it just as you would to sew a seam with an ordinary foot. It does require a bit of patience and some use of the sewing machine's flywheel but it is nice halfway house if you are a little worried about going completely off-road.

Close up of the faux free-motion machine embroidery new baby card

This scenic baby new baby card was made using the faux free-motion machine embroidery techniques and fabric.

All the elements use stitch, the lettering, spot on the ladybird all of it. However, the inside and the envelop where stamped with a stamp from Clearly Besotted Stamps but they seem to have discontinued the stamp set, which is a shame 'coz it was super-cute.

Matching stamping inside a card and on the envelop

Do you ever use your sewing machine to draw your designs and not just stitch a border with? Is it something you would like to do more of but aren't sure how? Are you a fan of the free-motion machine embroidery? I would love to know so do drop me a comment if it is something you would like to know more about.

Catch you later stitchinators.
Kim

Kim Dellow Blog post signature



4 comments:

  1. Love this technique Kim, I use to use it a lot on my cards using paper and/or fabri like this one
    http://www.blush-crafts.com/2014/01/a-cupcake-card-for-challenge.html
    don't seem to get the time to get the machine out these days, which is a shame. Could never get the hang of the 'jumping' darning foot though! :)x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use to use it a lot too but it is quite labour intensive isn't it? Your card is beautiful, love that cupcake, almost good enough to eat :) Kx

      Delete
  2. Really cute card Kim.
    My machine doesn't come out much these days. I was never one for machine embroidery of any kind but love to see the effects others come up with.
    Toni xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Toni. My machine doesn't come out much either at the moment, for me it mostly a matter of time. I have grand ideas to add stitch to a card then I just run out of time! Hey ho!
      Kx

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog, I really appreciate every single one!

If you have any questions please email them to me kim(dot)dellow(at)gmail(dot)com or make sure you have the 'non-reply' turned off so that I can email you via your comment. Thanks!

Kimxx