Thursday 30 January 2014

Art Journal Sharing Thursday

Time for an art journal page share I think? How about it? Do you fancy a journal page?

In my quest to get into the art journaling habit for real this year (remember I mentioned about it in last week's Art Journal Sharing Thursday blog post?) well, I've started around 5 or 6 pages this week, although some of those were just preparing pages with gesso, is that cheating? Maybe I shouldn't count preparing pages with gesso? Ok so I've started 2 pages this week, both in an A4 sketch book, but I'm kind of sitting on them a little bit and letting them mature as works in progress.

 I do have a finished page to show, this one came purely from wanting to try using the Golden Polymer Medium (Gloss) in some different ways to how I usually use it.


I had not actually intended to do a journal page at all but as I was playing with the medium, which is one of my favourites by the way, I just grabbed my repurposed A5 flier journal and so a journal page was born.

I wanted to use the Polymer medium to glue some old book pages to a gessoed page, I've not really used it to glue things before as I usually turn to the Golden gels for that purpose.  Then I used it to make some paint glazes to use on another old book page which I then started to tear and weave, once it was dry of course. 


The woven papers looked like a mini nest to me and the centre of the weave was just shouting for a word. I thought 'Found' nestled nicely in the paper nest so next I used some India ink and a dip pen on a book page sealed with the Polymer medium.

The 'Found' just needed a 'Lost' and you could almost miss it as I slipped it in at the top of the page.


The India ink works beautifully on the Golden Polymer medium and it makes the line a lot thinker and ink flows smoothly onto the surface which is handy to know and I really like the thicker look.


So my Polymer medium play was quite productive, I used it as a glue, a glaze medium for my paints, a sealant for porous materials and finally as a surface to write on. Not bad for one A5 journal page.

Thanks for popping in for my Art Journal Sharing Thursday this week.

Kim

2 comments:

  1. You've certainly been having fun and produced great results. Have a good weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool to hear about your playtime with different products (except then I always "need" them afterwards!) - and I love your lost and found page.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog, I really appreciate every single one!

If you have any questions please email them to me kim(dot)dellow(at)gmail(dot)com or make sure you have the 'non-reply' turned off so that I can email you via your comment. Thanks!

Kimxx