Wednesday 25 January 2012

What Is On Your Work Desk Wednesday (WOYWW) - RUST!

Yep, I have a rusty desk today, well to be honest I have had a rusty desk for the last few days as I'm rusting a few things in batches.


I thought it would make a good WOYWW so don't forget to pop on over to Julia's blog to join in the fun!

If you want to know how I do it then read on, if not than just whiz on down to the comments to say WOYWW 'Hi'.

*******

A couple of folks asked how I do my rusting after posting this make from last week:


I've rusted the fabric - the key was an already rusted find.

If any of you have seen my 'The Machinist' make in the September 2011 issue of the Craft Stamper you would have spotted a clue as to how I rust stuff but here are some more details...

You will need:
Rusting Powder 
White vinegar
Water
Things to rust
Bowl/tray/old newpaper/plastic sheets
Glue stick/Acrylic wax (Optional)


I set myself up a space to rust and layer up some plastic sheets and newspaper to protect the surface of my desk or tray or whatever you are rusting in/on - this is going to be messy!

Fabric - If you are rusting fabric give it a soak in a solution made from one part water - a little bit more than one part white vinegar. You can happily use 100% vinegar but I'm a cheap skate!  The more evenly saturated the fabric the more even the rust covering will be so if you want some areas more rusted than others experiment with the length of time you saturate the fabrics, where you put the rusting powder or only saturate parts of the fabric. You can play with rubber bands wrapped roughly around the fabric to get 'tie-dye' like patterns too.

Sprinkle on the rusting powder and allow the rust to develop as the fabric dries.


TIP - I also add bits of metal or previously rusted items to my rusting and rust layers of soaked fabrics in a bundle. You get some interesting intensities and patterns. If you are lucky you might have a bit of copper in the metal and you will get some lovely greens developing too. You can keep adding soaked fabric to the original rusted fabric to rust more pieces, you might need to add a little more vinegar solution each time. 

When you are finished let the fabric dry completely and then brush off the rusty bits you no longer want.

Card/Paper - There are a couple of ways of rusting card and paper. I often cover bits of the paper and card with a glue stick and add the powder to the glue then sprinkle with the vinegar solution. Let the rust develop as the card/paper dries.

You can then use this piece as a base to rust other card or paper by soaking a new piece of card/paper in the vinegar solution and layering it on top of the original rusted piece and let it dry again.


Plastic - You can rust all sorts of things and I have had fun rusting non-rustable items such as plastic buttons or metal that won't rust etc. Add glue stick to the plastic to be rusted, sprinkle on the rusting powder and some vinegar solution and let it dry. If you are worried the rust will fall off then seal the object with a little bit of gel medium or a layer of polymer medium which dries clear. I think this is where the acrylic wax comes in to it's own, but as I don't have any I use the glue stick and a sealant!

Heavy gel medium is great for attaching the heavy rusted elements to your work, I've been using the one from Golden.


So you can use your rusted items in your work such as with these rusted cogs in this altered sardine tin make:



Or use your fabric to stamp on and stitch into:


Yumsk!

Have fun with this one and I would love to see what you do with it, so don't forget to leave a link to any makes.

Kim


Pin It

53 comments:

  1. seems i need to add more items to my evergrowing shopping list.....lol
    thanks for popping by my blog,x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a fab set of yummy creations, that rusting powder looks fantastic, have tried all over to get some, must keep looking....the pieces look amazing!!happy woyww hugs tracex no16

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb technique hun, thanks for sharing. I've got a flowerpot full of keys like that in the shed, lol!! Hugs Sxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a fab idea. Great makes. Zo x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kim! Happy WOYWW! Thanks for sharing this technique! Love, kissinia

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW thanks for the technique tip! Love the rusty keys, fabric and paper. Have a great week and thanks for sharing! Vickie #27

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhh I am in love with this technique!!! Gotta get me some rusty stuff happening on my desk ! Thanks!
    Leandra

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic explanation - thanks for sharing. Lynn ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is sooooo cool, I never knew you could get rusting powder, i so want to try this now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there. Thanks for sharing your creative space with us nosey parkers today. It's always inspiring to see. Hope you have plenty of creative fun this coming week. Your rusting is fab, I have a metal paint I use with a rust activator that you paint on top, it works a treat on boxes and card, I think i'll try some on fabric too and see how that works!
    Neil#55

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to start snooping in the garage if I can find stuff to start RUSTING, it's awesome Kim!!!! Thanks for this inspiring explanation!

    Hug, Irene

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous post fab technique !Have fab wednesday and creative week
    hugs judex17

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great Kim. Thanks for this tutorial. Have a great week, Janine

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous projects! Love the technique, thanks for sharing! Trish xx #44

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had no idea you could do all this - not seen rusting powder before, it sounds intriguing and your tips are great, thank you!! I will be looking out for this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great post ...never thought about rusting ...very informative ...thanks for sharing your methods.

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW, Fantastic projects, quite amazing, thanks for sharing these fab techiques Have a great creative week, Hugs May x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  18. You certainly have been having fun with your rusting - the results look fab.

    Toni xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. i have a rusty brain at the mo to compliment your desk... love the colours and technique - so much quicker than a 1 year erosion bundle!Yumptiuos tag there I must say... Thanks for sharing, wishing you a creative week, Sarah. (at no.38 - NOT 8! A dud link)

    ReplyDelete
  20. fabulous post, thanks for the tute!
    Happy WOYWW! Debxx #108

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW, love the altered sardine tin, what a great technique, Thank you for sharing it with us all, Hope you have a great week Lou #84

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love it all! I {{heart}} old keys. :) I like your style!

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh my goodness, what absolutely amazing stuff you have there! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for the tips on rusting, can see I 'need' that powder, either that or raid the back of the shed as we have loads lod old rusty stuff hidden away in there. Love the sardine tine - it's gorgeous.
    Ann B
    #46

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fantastic desk this week Kim. I have some of that Rusting stuff that I have never opened......I'm on my way to seek it out now, the effects are way better than I thought they would be.

    Thanks for showing us.
    Lin

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the effects Kim, I need some of that powder. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think rusting things is such a cool look. I used a liquid rusting agent once that some lady brought in. I love your tag with the rusted fabric and key. Wow! That's all I can say as I'm blown away by all the rusty goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  28. what a great technique, I will be giving this a go myself. Thanks for Sharing.

    Becky #56

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love this technique! I am so going to have to give it a try! Thanks so much for sharing the tutorial! It rocks! Have a happy WOYWW -Amanda 36

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ohh this is fascinating. I need things to rust now!!
    When I first clicked on your desk photo I thought you'd made pancakes, it looked just like it until I saw the keys!! Funny how your eyes play tricks isn't it.
    A great post, Kim.
    Happy WOYWW
    Hugs Lisax #128

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for all the info! Elzabeth of Bleubeard and Elizabeth rusted lots of paper and stuff a while ago, so your post has reminded me to give it a try. Great results.
    JoZarty x

    ReplyDelete
  32. How fascinating! Who knew there was such a thing as rusting powder, am pretty sure Elizabeth will be chuckling over that! Love the samples you've made with the rusting, really adds to the feel of the pieces?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hello there, what an interesting desk. Never knew there were products out there that could rust things! My hubby is a hoarder, so I think I could skip that part and just go raid his garage(s!).

    Lovely projects you're sharing, particularly like the tin - just fab!

    Thanks for the kind comment on my blog, it is appreciated.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  34. What an interesting post thanks for the info and what wonderful creations you have made with your rusted finds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Gosh, interesting stuff you real crafters get up to Kim, lol! Love that project with the purple heart too.

    Hugs
    Brenda 99

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love those rusty keys and stuff, such a fantastic technique!!! Happy WOYWW! Hugs, Joanna #123

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow, you've created breathtaking pieces, wonderful projects.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks for the Tute! GreatWOYWW!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Awesome tute on rusting and the end results are quite wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Kim thank you so much for sharing this. Im definitely going to have a go at this. Lee x

    ReplyDelete
  41. WOW...loved your desk...rusting keys, they look fab...love your style of work too it's right up my street so i'm now your latest follower...your a very talented lady...Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Beautifully rusty stuff & a stunning tag!!!
    This is my 1st WOWW and its great fun looking at all the amazing blogs Gx

    ReplyDelete
  43. Fabulous! Great tutorial! I think you just may have started something here!!!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  44. I like the idea of rusting though admit I haven't found time to try it. I especialy like the fabric piece you have done. It is chucking it down here so maybe I will put a few keys outside. LOL

    Happy WOYWW
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thanks for sharing all your fabulous rusty art Kim, & great tute too! x

    ReplyDelete
  46. your projects are wonderful! great WOYWW post!
    happy WOYWW, and thanks for sharing!
    hugs,
    peggy aplSEEDS

    ReplyDelete
  47. What a fabulous rusty post Kim - I didn't know such a product even existed. Thanks for sharing your techniques x

    ReplyDelete
  48. I'm so inspired by this post! WOW! I want to collect a bunch of stuff and make it rusty!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Oh so THAT'S how it's done!! My wishlist has just got much MUCH larger now!

    Thanks for sharing!

    Happy WOYWW!

    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  50. Wow, Kim, I adore your rust project! I've been trying to replicate the look of rust recently - it's gorgeous and grungey, isn't it. Must study your blog post further and try my hand at this technique. Golden gel mediums are great, aren't they.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Brilliant tutorial thanks :-) Kezzy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  52. Great tutorial thank you love the tags x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog, I really appreciate every single one!

If you have any questions please email them to me kim(dot)dellow(at)gmail(dot)com or make sure you have the 'non-reply' turned off so that I can email you via your comment. Thanks!

Kimxx