Friday 5 June 2015

Art It Friday - Show Your Face

Hey Facers, how has your week been? I hope you have managed to snuck some creativity into your days this week? Are you ready with your face?


For anyone new here this is a regular place to come and inspire, be inspired, but above all to share our portrait progress week by week. Every Friday at 10 am (BST) a new Show Your Face blog post goes live with the linky to add your blog post or online gallery picture to with any portrait work you have been doing.  

Your face can be drawn, doodled, painted, stitched, be made using any materials and can be any style, all I ask is that it is your artwork. If you use templates, stencils or stamps to build the face anatomy then they should be ones you have made yourself and not someone else's.  

Finished pieces, works in progress or retro posts (i.e. older works, not from this week) are all welcome, so come join in and spread the word on your blog/ social media outlets. Use hashtag #ShowYourFace if you like!


I'm going to kick off this week's face share with a painted art journal page. I have several art journals on the go. I use old event flyers, which I've mentioned before here on my blog, as my junk art journals and places to experiment in and I often have a load on the go at once so that I can chop and change whilst I wait for a layer to dry.

Ok, this is turning into a long story, but the upshot is I was messing about in my journals yesterday afternoon, knowing that I still needed to do this week's face but not really getting inspired, when this happened.

Art Journal page, stage one background

Can you see the face? Squint your eyes a bit...I already had the dark layers and the 3D-letters on this page from a previous day's work and I added some white with a bit of buff with an old credit card and suddenly I could see a face in the shadows.

Seeing the face in the background

You can see it too, right? I mean it isn't just me is it? *Oh dear she is seeing faces everywhere*.

So I sketched the face in with pencil, perhaps not exactly how I first saw it but it would do!


Then I went over the outline in Raw Umber.

By the way the paints I am using today are a mix of things from Liquitex basic and artist to Daler-Rowney System 3 and some Golden on the background. For the texture I used the DecoArt Media White Modelling Paste through a letter stencil from a stationery shop.


Ok so now you can see the face?

Blocking in the face with paint

As I started blocking in the outline I have to confess I bottled it a bit. I started with the dark tones, as I think might be customary, but I am sort of making this up as I go along. Then I lost my nerve and did light and dark at the same time.

Finished art journal page with a man's face

Which is why I think he might be a little overworked. But hey, he looks like a face, I learnt a lot painting him and I managed to get him done in time to post for today's #ShowYourFace, so that is a RESULT in my book!

You guys know what is comes next, don't you?

Over To You... 

Link your faces artwork and spread the word on your blog and/or social media, hashtag #ShowYourFace for those of you that use them.

Catch you later Face-Artinators!

Kim

ps. Some other places you might want to link your work to: Art journal pages link up with Julie Fei-Fan Balzer's Art Journal Everyday post. Paint work link it up at Paint Party Friday. For items using something Old, New and Digital then go link it up on the Old, New and Digital Too challenge.





16 comments:

  1. Love what you created in your journal this week, Kim. I find myself seeing faces everywhere - always have - so it was not a problem distinguishing the eye and nose in the shadows. I love how this is a profile and how painterly it is! Also what a strong profile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie Ann, hope you had a good face-filled week this week LOL!

      Delete
  2. Lovely work, I will have something to link tomorrow! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love finding faces in the mess of gesso or colour!! I made many faces this week, some painted, some digital...I posted the quirkiest one here! Your face is fabulous...and it's often hard to do male faces but he is very handsome in a rugged way!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like my rugged face :) And glad I'm not the only person seeing face everywhere!

      Delete
  4. Great job with your masculine face Kim! I have yet to try one. And of course I LOVE that background!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your spread is gorgeous Kim..and "he" turned out really expressive!
    I will link a face tomorrow and maybe on Sunday as well!
    Great that you give us the chance to meet and see what other
    FACE ARTINATORS do!
    oxo
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Susi, glad you are here again joining the Face-Artinators, hope you have something for the next linky tomorrow :) Kx

      Delete
  6. Love your journal spread and face. Great colourful background.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very cool male face, Kim, the step by step pictures are awesome. It's so nice to see how you found the eye socket and the mouth, and then draw it. It's very inspiring :)

    Happy Saturday!

    Love and hugs
    Maarit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Maarit Glad you like it! Looking forward to seeing your next face :) Kx

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog, I really appreciate every single one!

If you have any questions please email them to me kim(dot)dellow(at)gmail(dot)com or make sure you have the 'non-reply' turned off so that I can email you via your comment. Thanks!

Kimxx