Friday 1 May 2015

Art It Friday - Show Your Face

Welcome to Art It Friday - Show Your Face! Thanks so much for joining in last week and if you haven't had a chance go check out last week's shared faces.

Are you ready for your weekly portrait share?

Good! Let's get sharing!

I've not had a lot of chance to do much portrait work this week but I did manage to have a bit of play with this portrait made on an art journal page.

An Art journal portrait in Gesso and DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics

She is based on last week's blue watercolour face but this time I used a combination of DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylic paints and Gesso applied with a palette knife to make this painting.

An Art journal portrait in Gesso and DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics full face

Ooo what fun! So I 'drew' out the face roughly in Gesso then before it had dried added colour by adding more gesso but this time tinted with the DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics.

I liked the texture and there was something very organic about making the face with a palette knife.

An Art journal portrait in Gesso and DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics close up

The art journal page already had some gesso texture and the green colouring, which I'm guessing was acrylic paint but I had made the background such a long time ago that I don't remember exactly what I used. But I love the way you can just see that layer peeking through the face.

How about you? What faces have you been drawing or painting this week? 

Do share in the linky below. As before the face can be in any style and any medium as long as it is drawn, doodled, scribbled or painted and not done using a commercially bought stencil or stamp - well unless you designed that stencil or stamp that is!

Can't wait to see your faces and don't forget to shout it out, link to this post, share this post, let's build our face community.

Catch you later Face-Artinators!

Kim

ps. If your art happens to be from an art journal page you have done this week then go link up with Julie Fei-Fan Balzer's Art Journal Everyday post too!






20 comments:

  1. Love the build up of colours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clare and thanks so much for sharing your work this week. Kx

      Delete
  2. WOW Kim how good are you with a palette knife, your face is beautiful, has lots of depth and texture. She is wonderful and so full of expression and i love the tiny pops of colour. Great inspiration as i hope to be able to do this one day... :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey Up Mo :) Thanks for the lovely comment, it was fun as it is harder to control the palette knife than a brush or a pencil but I think it adds to the texture and you can just about see it is meant to be a face LOL! :)
      Right, just popping over to see what you have linked this week. :)xx

      Delete
  3. What a glorious mess of colors and textures. It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanet, your description is perfect! Thank you for coming over and linking again, another amazing artwork. Kx

      Delete
  4. This is so beautiful, Kim, It's a great take of last weeks blue face. Love the green colour showing through. Very clever use of the palette knife, I like it a lot. She looks like a well grounded lady.

    Love and hugs
    Maarit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does seem to have a personality doesn't she? :) Thanks so much Maarit for coming over and I'm super glad that you have linked up your gorgeous work again. Kx

      Delete
  5. Loving how textured your portrait is today! I would really like to have a go at using a palette knife, as I image it would be really different to pencils and brushes when creating faces. I will try that for next time if I have a chance. Sorry I couldn't link up last Friday! I am really enjoying this idea and I hope to contribute when I can. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thank you so much for joining up this week! There is no pressure, just link up when you can, nothing like pressure to stop those creative juices! I hope you do get a chance to have a go at using a palette knife. You are right it felt very different but definitely worth a go if you have the time. Have a super week! Kx

      Delete
  6. Very cool painting with the palette knife - gonna give to give that a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle :) and thanks for popping over again this week! Kx

      Delete
  7. Hi Kim, Mo sent me, lol! It's the first time I shared by face doodles - still shocked that I actually did so as been dodging doing so for months.
    I love your face - she looks so serene and so completely relaxed, I feel like she's completely laid back and happy - which is an odd thing to say lol! I've never seen that before.
    I'm only playing with different pencils at the moment until I feel more comfortable. Thanks for doing the link up - I'm going to visit everyone later Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you came over Karen and I am so glad you are sharing and joining in. It is wonderful to see! Great pencil work so looking forward to seeing more! Kx

      Delete
  8. love your palette knife portrait-something I must try! Thanks so much for visiting my blog and letting me know about your Friday challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm tickled pink that you have linked your big eyes up :) So glad to see you here and hope to get a chance to see you again :) Give me shout if you do try the palette knife portrait, I would love to see it! Kx

      Delete
  9. Hi Kim!!! Thank you for stopping by my blog! I love the texture in you journal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Danielle, I'm so glad you popped over and linked your amazing art to the community linky. It is wonderful and I'm so looking forward to seeing more of your work now that I have found your blog. Hope if you do more faces this week that you will pop by to share this Friday too. Have a fun week. Kimx

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog, I really appreciate every single one!

If you have any questions please email them to me kim(dot)dellow(at)gmail(dot)com or make sure you have the 'non-reply' turned off so that I can email you via your comment. Thanks!

Kimxx